For the dough:
- All purpose flour or Maida – 1 cup
- Luke warm water
For the filling :
- Ginger – 1 Inch
- Garlic – 12 cloves
- Green chilly – 4
- Onion – 1 large
- Spring onion – 100gm
- Carrot – 2
- Cabbage – 200gm
- Corriander – a small bunch
- Corn starch – 1 spoon
- Butter – 1 cube
To 1 cup of All purpose flour or Maida, add a teaspoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Kneed with Luke warm water to form a soft dough. Let it rest for 20 min.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute. They need not turn brown.
- Add finely chopped green chilly and onions. Cook until onions turn pink (not brown).
- Now add finely chopped carrots, cabbage and other vegetables of your choice. Add spring onions and cook for 5-7 minutes. Retain the crunch of the veggies.
- Prepare a corn slurry by adding a spoon of corn starch to water. This is to prevent veggies from sweating out when cooled down. Additional water can make the filling runny and break the shape of the momos. Corn slurry helps keeps the filling dry.
- Cook the slurry for a minute. Add a cube of butter to enhance the flavor. Butter is completely optional.
- Cool the mixture.
Roll out the dough and add the filling. Give it an appetizing shape!! Steam them for 10-15 minutes in a pre-heated steamer. You can alternatively deep fry them, if you please. You can also pan fry them with a sauce of your choice.
Serve hot! Enjoy!